Crib Tent Helps Toddler Go to Sleep (Mom and Dad Too!)

by Alicia Lewis Murray on November 19, 2007

Several months ago I wrote about how my toddler son suddenly had a hard time (that’s putting it nicely) sleeping in his crib. He had been the poster child of the perfect sleeper: never woke up in the middle of the night, never cried when we put him to bed, always went to bed with ease. Until we went away for a long weekend.

We remedied the problem through a series of experiments over 23 days, one of which I’ll tell you about today: It’s called the crib tent. While this is not a product blog, I feel I must write about this thing that brought order (and sleep!) back into my life.

I know a few moms who have resorted to the tent, so that made the transition easier for me. It’s not easy to put your toddler in his crib and zip him in. I felt like a bad mom; our bedtime routine has become: brush teeth, read book, hugs and kisses, put in crib, say “Nite, nite,” then ZIIIIIP! and lights off.

The first night I felt pretty bad zipping that tent up, but he didn’t seem to mind. It got easier after time, especially the peace of mind it gives me knowing that he’s not going to climb out of his crib in the middle of the night and start playing with something dangerous. It’s been a little over two months now and we still use it — otherwise he’d be climbing out every night. I think that we’ll transition to a toddler bed sooner than I have planned, but for now, the tent is working.

Related links:

crib tent

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

mamasgotmoxie November 20, 2007 at 12:24 am

your child must be the same age as mine… i had the very same crib tent (it was bought more to keep the cat out than to keep the baby in), the same crib set and the exact same under water car toy thingy that you have attached there at the bottom of the crib! :)

Believer in Balance March 9, 2008 at 5:10 pm

I have the same crib tent for my 13 month old! She started to climb out about a month ago and was already trying to grab the pictures off the walls. I feel much better now with the tent! First I was reluctant to even take it out of the box, but it actually looks a lot better than I thought. More like a canopy than a cage!

Alicia at BalancingMotherhood.com March 9, 2008 at 7:54 pm

Canopy .. that’s a great way to describe it. So many parents are afraid to use this because it’s sounds terrible, but it’s really not so bad. Thanks for commenting. Maybe we’ll help other parents realize this can be a good tool for them too :)

LED Torch %0B January 25, 2011 at 10:54 am

,~~ I am very thankful to this topic because it really gives up to date information ~.~

Joanne July 7, 2012 at 10:19 am

I need one of these and can not find them anywhere … Some reports that they have been discontinued … I want it to keep my cat out of and off the baby crib and pack and play more than keeping baby in… Anyone know anywhere still selling them or anyone willing to part with one?

cristina July 18, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Hi I need to buy one of this crib tent, but I am not finding in anyplace. Can you tell me where to buy? thank you

jo July 18, 2012 at 12:11 pm

@christina turns out this product had been discontinued , but I managed to get one from Craigslist, so I would try there depending on how comfortable u are using a recalled product (I am only using it to keep my cat off the pack and play when its not in use). Good luck.