Here’s something fancy you can do with cupcakes for any holiday – it’s really easy, yet impressive. Make this version of Christmas cupcake made with red, green and white icing.
You’ll need three bags, one of each color frosting. You’ll insert all three of these bags (with a slit at the tip) into a larger plastic piping bag with a star tip. Just slip all three next to one another. Close the main bag and pipe like normal.
Use even pressure for the three frosting colors to come out at the same time. Pipe onto your cupcakes in a swirl motion.
We used green liners to make them more Christmas-y.
I just love how the colors swirl together to form soft peaks of Christmas color.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temp.
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup unsalted butter, very soft
- ½ cup yogurt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
- Red and green gel food color (I used Wilton gel colors)
- In a large bowl mix together the dry ingredients until well combined.
- In a separate bowl cream together eggs, vanilla, yogurt, and butter until well combined and fold in the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Fill your lined cupcake tin about ⅔ full and bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of your cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream the butter until very pale and fluffy, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add in the powdered sugar one cup at a time mixing until just incorporated after each addition. Add powdered sugar to reach your desired consistency. If your frosting gets too thick you can add a whole milk or heavy cream to thin.
- With the mixer on medium speed add in salt and vanilla and mix well for at least 30 seconds.
- Divide the frosting equally into 3 bowls. Color one bowl green, one bowl red, and leave the last bowl white.
- Add your colored frosting into 3 disposable piping bags and add all three bags into a large piping bag fitted with a star tip. (I used Wilton 1M)
- Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes and enjoy!
If you love colorful cakes, take a peek at my Christmas surprise inside bundt cake.