These monster donuts are really mini-cakes! They use a boxed cake mix so they rise nice and high and can be easily decorated! Perfect for a Halloween party.
Follow the instructions on the cake mix.
And get the ingredients incorporated. Don’t over mix.
You’ll need a donut pan for this recipe, I use this donut pan from Wilton. Pour the mix into the donut pan, leaving some room at the top for the donuts to expand as they cook.
Once cooked, pop out of the pan and let cool.
Next you’ll melt the candy melts and spread on top of the cooled donuts. To melt the candy melts you can microwave them in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second intervals. Stir after every 30 seconds. The key to melting candy melts is that they don’t look melted until you stir!
You can also use this Wilton melting pot to make it really easy!
Before the topping dries, use the candy eyes (I used these) and place randomly on top, gently pushing eyes into the melted candy melts.
Set out to let cool completely.
There is such a variety you can do with these donuts – colorful sprinkles would be great too! Enjoy.
- 1 box white cake mix
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup of water
- ⅓ Cup of vegetable oil
- Black candy melts
- Green candy melts
- Assorted candy eyes
- Donut Pan
- Mix cake mix, water, vegetable oil and eggs according to the cake mix box.
- Spray donut pan with cooking spray.
- Pour cake mix eventy into donut pan, making sure not to fill all the way to the top.
- Bake for 12 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Melt black and green candy melts separately in microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval.
- Dip the top of some donuts in black melts and some in the green melts.
- The melts harden quickly, so put the candy eyes on top right away.