Grilled pizza is quite a treat and so easy to make. While it may seem difficult, it’s really just as easy as making pizza in the oven, but you get the extra flavors from the grill.
My family has pizza every Friday night, yet I haven’t make a grilled pizza – until now. Why did I wait so long? Perhaps because I thought making grilled pizza was difficult. How on earth do you put a crust on the grill? Do you need a pan? A pizza stone? I’m glad to say it’s not hard to make a pizza on the grill! Not at all. The flavor you get from the grill makes an incredible difference in pizza. You absolutely must try this. It’s so much easier than you think!
How to make grilled pizza
It’s important when making grilled pizza to prep all of your ingredients: shred your cheese, chop all the veggies, have your sauce ready to spread, and have any seasonings nearby, ready to sprinkle on the pizza. For this recipe I used a special pizza seasoning blend, Herbs special Pizza from The French Farm, and a little salt and pepper. The flavor was amazing!
Grilled Pizza Recipe
I used a simple pizza dough recipe that is easy to put together and that you can roll out with ease. I use this recipe and make it at least 3-4 hours before I’m going to use it. This recipe makes enough dough for two 6 inch pizzas. You can really make the crusts any size, shape you want depending on the size grill you have. We opted to give each member of the family their own pizza! So, we had fresh mozzarella, mushrooms and pepperoni on one. Veggies on another. Just cheese on another.
Making grilled pizza is hardly a recipe, it’s more about the steps involved in being prepared. The flavor you get from the grill is amazing. And, it’s a great way to keep you house cool in the summer by not having to heat up the oven just for pizza.
Grilled Pizza Tips
- Cook the pizza dough for several minutes before you put on the toppings
- Get your grill HOT! I usually bake pizza in the kitchen oven at 475 or 500. The grill is no different. I used a gas grill, but charcoal would work great too.
- Have all of your ingredients prepared (grate the cheese, slice the mushrooms, have your sauce next to you) before you start cooking the crust
- Cook the pizza with the grill lid closed
- Grease the grill AND the pizza dough (do this by spreading olive oil on one side of the pizza crust)
- Pizza dough (store bought or your favorite recipe)
- Pizza sauce
- Olive oil (about 2 tablespoons, plus extra for grill)
- Mozzarella cheese
- Pepperoni or veggies
- Seasonings (I used Fresh Farms' Herbs Special Pizza)
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat grill
- Make dough using your favorite recipe, let rise
- Roll dough into shape you want for your pizza
- Cut all vegetables to preferred size
- Place all ingredients next to grill
- Put olive oil on one side of pizza dough
- Rub olive oil on grates of grill
- Place pizza olive oil side down on grill and close lid. Cook for 3-4 minutes until you see large bubbles and grill marks on the bottom.
- Flip pizza and add toppings (olive oil, pizza sauce, seasonings, cheese, veggies and pepperoni)
- Close lid and cook for 3-4 more minutes until cheese is melted
- Slide pizza off grill onto plate
This post is part of Cookout Week where I partnered with other bloggers to create and share amazing cookout recipes. I received complimentary products to try, but did not receive any compensation.