Check out these moist pumpkin cupcakes topped with homemade cinnamon cream cheese icing. It’s the perfection combination for fall. This is a simple, semi-homemade recipe that used a yellow box mix as the base. These make me feel like it’s really fall. I used these cute pumpkin cupcake liners.
But I really feel like they have the perfect, simple fall vibe too. I added orange sugar crystals on top.
For this batch, I used plain orange cupcake liners and topped the cupcakes with orange, brown, and yellow sprinkles.
These are truly for fall. Next I got out the black cupcake liners and topped these with candy corn-colored sprinkles. I love the contrast of the sprinkles with the black.
And, finally came the perfect decorations for Halloween cupcakes. I used the black cupcake liners and topped the cupcakes with little candy pumpkin and bat “sprinkles,” like these Halloween confetti sprinkles.
Here’s the recipe:
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 can pumpkin puree NOT pumpkin pie filling
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
*Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting*
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1 stick butter unsalted
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbs. milk optional
- Preheat oven to 350
- Mix cake mix, pumpkin puree and vegetable oil in mixer or stir by hand
- Add pumpkin pie spice (if you aren't sure how much cinnamon flavor you want, add one tsp., then taste after all ingredients are mixed together. Add another if you want more cinnamon.
- Mix until all ingredients are combined
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners or muffin pan -- filling 3/4 high
- Bake 350 for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean
- cool on wire rack
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Mix cream cheese (must be at room temperature), and butter (also needs to be room temperature)
- In separate bowl, add powdered sugar and 1 - 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Whisk until combined.
- Add powdered sugar mixture to cream cheese mixture -- one cup at a time, mixing in between each cup
- Add up to 2 tablespoons milk to achieve desired frosting consistency
Disclosure: Affiliate links are used in this post which means if you make a purchase through one of the links I make a small commission, at no additional cost to you.