It is that time of the year again and if you are one of the many parents who cringe at the thought of packing lunches everyday because of the lack of ideas, then check out these tips!
The best way to beat the lunch game is to stick with one of three presentation methods.
Stackers. Kids love these because it’s just like making their own lunchables. Using meat, cheese, and crackers they can build their own lunch. Add grapes and a granola bar and there’s a great option.
Roll ups. Another fun favorite is using turkey or ham with your child’s favorite cheese and making mini roll-ups. Add some colorful toothpicks with a little note attached and cool sides like fruit kabobs. Or try one with banana and granola on a tortilla.
Nibbles. Here is where you have to get creative and find anything free in the fridge like leftover rotisserie chicken, sugar snap pea pods, macaroni salad, you know, anything left from the weekend picnic.
There are some important things to remember each and every school year when it comes to packing lunches, so check out these valuable reminders.
- Go easy on the veggies. The more you pack, the less get eaten.
- Pack light and easy. Nothing fancy, just simple lunchbox or bag is fine.
- Skip sandwiches. At least, not everyday. Try roll-ups instead and other ideas.
- Nut free. Check with your school to see if it’s nut free, and avoid at all costs.
Lunch Box Supplies
In order to pack up the best lunches for this upcoming school year, there are just a few supplies that you should have on hand in order to make it easy on yourself when 6:00 a.m. comes calling.
- An easy to use, durable lunch box or lunch bag (we LOVE this one and here’s a list of leakproof lunch boxes that are great)
- Ice pack (we like these thin ice packs)
- Small, thin ice packs
- Skewers or toothpicks
- Fun lunchbox accessories
Lunch Menu Ideas
Last, but certainly not least, here are some simple menu ideas. Make lunchtime a fun time for your kids and try some of our top 10 favorite combinations.
1. Deli turkey, cheddar cheese sliced up into roll-ups, pretzels, apple wedges
2. Pepperoni slices, American cheese, rolled up in a tortilla, into pinwheels, strawberries, carrots
4. Whole wheat pita wedges , cream cheese spread, raisins, ham roll-ups
5. Graham crackers, and Nutella sandwiches, strawberries, yogurt
6. Tortillas with a cream cheese spread mixed with taco seasoning, add rotisserie chicken rolled up and cut into pinwheels, orange slices
7. Pasta tossed with olive oil or salad dressing, rotisserie chicken, grapes
8. Deli roast beef, swiss cheese in a roll-ups, baby carrots, apple
9. Jelly cut outs, cheese stick, sliced bananas
10. Bacon, lettuce, tomato, & cream cheese rolled up tortilla, cut in pinwheels, pringles, yogurt
Best of luck and happy lunchboxing!