Cute, Fun, Gelatin Snack in an Orange Peel Wedge

by Alicia at BalancingMotherhood.com on March 21, 2011

orange jello wedge

I made these treats for my daughter’s second birthday party. They were perfect for toddlers and the bigger kids thought they were pretty cool too.

orange mold for jello oranges

Start with whole oranges, cut in half. Cut them with the base of the orange on the bottom so that the orange will be stable and can “stand up” after it’s cut. I used a glass dish (would be a good idea to line with paper towels).

Take a sharp knife and cut around the edge of the orange peel — right where the white is. You can to leave the white, but take out all the orange. This part is messy and tedious. Be careful how hard you push the knife — you are bound to slice a hole in one or more oranges.

Save the orange segments and have your kids eat those while they wait for the finished gelatin product to set up. You can also squeeze all the orange pieces to get a great glass of OJ! Nothing goes to waste in this project.

Next, prepare the gelatin according to the package instructions. I used two Jell-O packages, one lime Jell-O, one berry flavored Jell-O. One regular sized package filled about 4 orange halves. After the gelatin is ready (gelatin dissolved in hot water, then cold water is added), pour it into the orange halves. Set your tray in the refrigerator to set for a few hours.

jello orange wedge

Take the orange halves out of the refrigerator and slice into quarters. I tried to do eights and had some success, but it was hard to cut them that small.

purple and green jello oranges

They are wobbly, jiggly and totally fun! The kids ate them up — and some of the adults did too! My only complaint is that I did not make more of them.

Notes:

• One package of Jell-O fills about two whole oranges.
  • Be careful when trying to cut too close to the bottom of the orange. I pulled out too much white and made a tiny hole in the bottom of about 4 halves. Was crushed to see the color pouring out of the bottom and wanted desperately to figure out how to fill the hole. Didn’t work out.
  • Keep chilled until party time. I successfully transferred mine using a Pyrex dish with a frozen “cooly” under the dish. The Jell-O didn’t melt.

My inspiration came from What’s For Dinner which I originally found on the Tasty Kitchen website.

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Grace March 23, 2011 at 2:45 pm

That is such a cute idea! I remembered loving those jiggling jello cutouts, like stars and heart, when i was little!

My name is Grace and I blog about my crazy life over at yourdailygrace.com! But my day job is student at UCF and intern at the Orlando Science Center! I actually wanted to offer you a 15% discount on our OSC Membership for you and your family, no pressure just an offer:) Contact me if you’re interested!

Shawna May 1, 2011 at 1:58 am

Couldn’t you just scoop out all of the orange with a spoon instead? I imagine that would be much easier, and you run no risk of cutting through the peel. Just a thought!
These are really neat :-)

kristi May 7, 2011 at 9:18 pm

You could just juice the oranges in your electric juicer and the fill the halves with the jello,no poking through with a knife that way! My juicer leaves the orange halves pretty clean! :)

hannah April 4, 2012 at 9:43 pm

how do you make it the jello in an orange?

Erica April 8, 2012 at 3:30 am

This was a great idea and I wanted to try it… So I’m preparing them for the Easter celebration.. I hope they like em.. Thanks:):)

Alicia at BalancingMotherhood.com April 19, 2012 at 8:22 am

Great idea for Easter. Hope they went over well.

justaskjozo July 13, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Hey Ladies please do me a favor and check out justaskjozo@blogspot.com – thanks with the word of mouth.. Jozo
….oh and comments :)

Jenn July 26, 2012 at 9:48 am

I used a muffin tin to hold the orange peel halves…it worked perfectly!
I also put a chocolate chip in the bottom of the half that had a hole in it-put a few drops of the warm jello-smooshed down the warm melted chocolate chip-then filled it up!

Shay September 30, 2012 at 10:42 am

Dude this is totally epic, man I did this and worked perfectly. I was like hellz ya! I made blood red jello ones, snot green ones, melted cheese yellow colored ones. It was a hit at the band meeting, totally rich man!

Agus December 28, 2012 at 5:56 am

This reminds me of a dsesert my girlfriend just encountered – some sort of gelatinous mold (rumored to be a mixture of pudding AND jello!) with maraschino cherries and something chunky and clear green mixed in. She was so repulsed by the way it quivered with no seeming provocation that she fled the room and then the party : )