I’ve been sick for over two days and craving some home made soup. Yesterday I drug myself to take my daughter to Barnes and Noble so she could use a gift card she got from her grandmother. Even though I was sick, I couldn’t resist helping her buy a book.
Across the street from the book store is a Whole Foods grocery so I had a great idea to buy some soup for dinner from its food bar. We got there and the soups of the day just didn’t appeal to me so we walked out with frozen pot stickers, an extra large cupcake with three buttercream flowers on top, and 2 overpriced salted caramel macarons.
Needless to say when the next day rolled around I still had a hankering for some soup, I wasn’t surprised: Instant Pot to the rescue. I haven’t made much in my Instant Pot yet, but thought it should be able to make a great batch of Instant Pot chicken noodle soup. And, I knew it could cook frozen chicken in minutes.
It didn’t disappoint.
I was able to make an amazing pot of Instant Pot chicken noodle soup with frozen chicken for lunch.
Normally, I’d do all of this on the stovetop, or in a crockpot, but I cooked EVERYTHING in the Instant Pot. At one point I was about to get out a saute pan to cook the vegetables and then I remembered the Instant Pot has a saute setting. WIN!
Here’s how I made Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
Cooked 4 frozen chicken breasts with one cup of water for 10 minutes on manual. (NOTE: Depending on the size/thickness of your chicken, you may need to cook them longer. I used fairly thin breasts for this recipe.)
Then I let the steam vent and removed the chicken and drained the water. I chopped the chicken up and set it aside.
Then I put in butter on the saute setting and added the veggies and sauted them for 5 minutes.
Next, I put in the chicken, and 8 cups of pre-made chicken broth. Finished with seasonings and noodles. Then I put the top on and set the Instant Pot to the soup setting, reducing the time to 4 minutes. (Note: it takes several minutes before the Instant Pot starts calculating the four cooking minutes.)
Once the time was up, I released the steam with the quick release valve and lunch was done.
This soup was so flavorful. It was the perfect pick me up that I’d been looking for.
I’m certainly going to make it again.
- 4 large frozen chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 3 full-sized carrots, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 slices fresh ginger
- 8 oz. wide noodles
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 8 cups chicken broth (2-32 ounce containers)
- Place frozen chicken breasts in Instant Pot, adding one cup water
- Put on lid and close vent
- Set Instant Pot to manual and set the time to 10 minutes
- Once the Instant Pot is up to pressure it will start the 10 minute timer
- Once the timer is up, do a quick release and remove the chicken. (Be careful to avoid the steam from the Instant Pot vent)
- With kitchen gloves, take out the Instant Pot insert (pan/bowl) and drain water
- Rinse Instant Pot pan and place back inside Instant Pot
- Add 3 tablespoons butter and press saute on Instant Pot
- Once butter is melted, add carrots, celery, and onion. Saute until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes
- While vegetables are sautéing, shred or chop chicken
- Add chicken, chicken broth, garlic, sliced ginger, and bay leaf
- Add salt, pepper, and Italian seasonings
- Add noodles
- Close lid and vent
- Set Instant Pot to Soup and reduce the time to 4 minutes
- Once the Instant Pot is up to pressure it will start the 4 minute timer
- When timer is done, press the quick release valve (being careful to stay out of the way of the steam)
- Serve soup warm
Get your cookbook
Subscribe and download your FREE cookbook!