With the chill in the air, it’s time for some heat your soul soup. Today I’ve got a creamy potato soup that will warm you right up.
Start by pealing some russet potatoes.
Chop into small pieces.
You’re going to cook the bacon first and set aside, then melt some butter and cook the onions and celery until tender.
Chop up some ham slices, into bite-sized pieces.
Then you start adding the cream and other ingredients, along with the chopped potatoes. Follow the recipe and cook until the potatoes are fork tender.
The cream, sour cream, and cheese make this a decadent soup. And once you add in all the seasonings and the bulk from the potatoes, you have an amazing soup perfect for a cold day!
- 4 slices of bacon
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups of onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic (2-3 cloves)
- 5 cups of cubed potatoes, about ½ inch chunks (4-5 larger Russet potatoes)
- 1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
- 32 ounces of chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of ground thyme
- ½ cup of flour
- 1 ½ cup of half and half
- ½ cup of sour cream, plus extra for garnish
- 2 cups of cheddar cheese, shredded
- green onions, chopped for garnish
- In heavy pot over medium heat, cook bacon. Once bacon has been cooked, set it to the side and discard any remaining fat.
- Add in butter and melt
- Add onions to melted butter and cook for 3-4 minutes, until translucent.
- Add garlic, and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add flour, and whisk for one minute, then slowly whisking in the half and half, then chicken broth.
- Once all ingredients are combined, add in the seasonings, potatoes, and celery.
- Bring soup to a simmer and cover halfway.
- Cook for 25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, roughly chop the bacon, and keep to the side.
- Once potatoes are tender, lower heat to low and add in chopped bacon (leave some for the toppings), sour cream, and cheese. Gently stir, and wait 2-3 minutes for bacon to heat through and cheese to melt.
- Top with a dollop of sour cream, chopped green onions, some leftover bacon and cheese.